Steve Bullock Blames Montana’s Wildfires on ‘Climate Change’


In a whopping 72-page dossier of suggestions on how to survive the impending climate apocalypse, Governor Steve Bullock revealed his environmental agenda should he be elected to replace Steve Daines in the U.S. Senate. Suggestions from the Democrat candidate include higher energy standards for washing machines, replacing older mobile homes with newer ones, and creating something called “innovation clusters” throughout the state.

A number of the policies suggested by Bullock differ from the recommendations he made during his 2020 presidential primary bid. One of these was the governor’s clear opposition to cap-and-trade, a controversial tax scheme that artificially limits carbon emissions of businesses and requires them to trade carbon credits with other businesses that underutilize their emission allowance. A similar program, called “cap-and-tax” would simply penalize businesses with too many emissions with a punitive tax.

Regarding his 72-page climate plan, Bullock said, “I do not support any of the proposals for national carbon tax in Congress.”

However, when asked during his presidential run if he would be open to such a measure, he responded, “Yes … a carbon tax shouldn’t be off the table if it includes safeguards to ensure lower-income communities are not disproportionately affected.”

Among Bullock’s climate goals is “net greenhouse gas neutrality in the electric power sector by 2035, and net zero emissions overall by 2040-2050.”

There is no technology currently available that would allow Montana to accomplish either of these goals.

But it’s one claim from Bullock in particular that has some scratching their heads. Apparently, Bullock believes that wildfires are caused by climate change. The Missoulian explained, “Bullock wrote of the increasing severity of wildfires in Montana, and the council noted that the state’s temperatures are 2 to 3 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than in the 1950s, with earlier snowmelt and peak spring runoff.”

Bullock wrote in the report, “Not only does the state face a series of physical risks tied to a changing climate, the state also faces fiscal risks impacting state budgets and services, and economic risks implicating employment and income trends.”

The climate report reads, “Climate change-driven severe events (e.g., wildfires, drought, flooding) threaten people, communities, and businesses across Montana.”

Of course, wildfires aren’t caused by climate change any more than meteor strikes are caused by climate change. And in recent days, we know exactly what caused the fires that have ravaged the state as of late. Fires both in Corvallis and Jordan were started by humans, as are 80% of the wildfires in Montana. Most of the other 20% are caused by lightning, which is not a meteorological event tied to climate change.

In fact, the prehistoric record of Montana geology shows that wildfires were notably worse and consumed more acreage in Pre-Columbian history than in the 21st or 20th centuries. Surely the wildfires that consumed much of North America during the Middle Ages could not be blamed on carbon emissions.

Hillary Clinton drew a similar parallel between wildfires and climate change on Twitter yesterday, which drew largescale mockery and jeering laughter.

Of course, wildfires are perfectly normal and have been regular occurrences in North America and pre-territorial Montana for thousands of years. In fact, much of Montana’s diverse ecosystem can only be accomplished by occasional wildfires that clear the land and clean the forrest of undergrowth.


Bringing you conservative news and commentary means it is tough out there on social media. We’re constantly getting kneecapped and constrained by tech companies who find the truth intolerable, resulting in our reach being severely throttled.

For this reason, please consider supporting us directly. If you like what you are reading and desire to to see more, please support our work here.

Stay informed. Subscribe today.
Enter your email address below.

[yikes-mailchimp form="1"]


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here