Endorsements from the Montana Daily Gazette are taken very seriously, as would be expected from any statewide news source. In keeping with the values of our publication, we offer the following endorsements for Montana House and Senate races in the general election, taking place November 3.
Endorsements are given based upon the following:
- Consideration of the candidate’s stance on limited government
- Consideration of the candidate’s stances on issues relating to the First Amendment, in particular the Freedom of the Press, Freedom of Assembly, and Freedom of Religion
- Consideration of the candidate’s stances on gun rights issues, which are important to most Montanans
- Consideration of the candidate’s personal character and qualifications
The Montana Daily Gazette endorses the following candidates in the general election’s statewide races (our endorsements in legislative races are here).
U.S. Senate – Steve Daines (R)*
U.S. House of Representatives – Matt Rosendale (R)
Governor – Greg Gianforte (R)
Attorney General – Austin Knudsen (R)
State Auditor – Troy Downing (R)
Superintendent of Public Instruction – Elsie Arntzen (R)
Supreme Court Justice – Laurie McKinnon
* The editorial board of the Montana Daily Gazette is in strong opposition to Steve Daines’ position on the Water Compact and on the federal control of Montana lands. If there was another candidate who was against the Compact and for state control of Montana lands, we would endorse them instead. Daines’ opponent, Steve Bullock, shares these problematic stances and in addition, many more.