Beginning in June 2022, NW Energy in Bozman, MT, will be installing “Smart Meters” onto peoples’ homes. If you do not respond to NW Energy or aren’t home, this radioactive device will be installed- read below and learn how to “Opt-Out.”
(Northwestern Energy’s new digital meters for Montana, beginning June 2022 in the Bozeman area)
For information about the new digital Smart Meters (versus the old analog meters) proposed by NorthWestern Energy, this link can be accessed:
https://www.northwesternenergy.com/about-us/our-projects/montana-meterupgrade Customers should know that the meters are optional, and homeowners/residents are not required to get one.
The NorthWestern Energy flier that was mailed to Bozeman area residents recently informed customers that NorthWestern Energy will soon be conducting new meter installations on people’s homes but did not publish that customers have the choice to opt-out of the new meters. If customers do not opt-out of the new meters and
are not home at the time of installation, the meter will automatically be installed.
Below is the information published on the company’s website to opt-out of the program if you do not want a Smart Meter on your home:
What are the Potential Risks of Digital Smart Meters?
- Smart Meters emit high radio frequency radiation, which is classified as “possibly carcinogenic to humans,” as mentioned in the American Cancer Society link below:
“Smart meters give off RF radiation. RF radiation is low-energy radiation. RF radiation doesn’t have enough energy to remove charged particles such as electrons (ionize), and so is called non-ionizing radiation. Non-ionizing radiation has enough energy to move atoms in a molecule around or cause them to vibrate, which can lead to heat, but it can’t damage DNA directly.
RF radiation is classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as “possibly carcinogenic to humans.” This is based on the finding of a possible link in at least one study between cell phone use and a specific type of brain tumor. Because RF radiation is a possible carcinogen, and smart meters give off RF radiation, it is possible that smart meters could increase cancer risk. “
2) High Radio Frequency radiation from Smart Meters may cause other immediate health problems. “People with smart meters in their homes have reported a sudden increase in dizziness, ear pain, memory problems, heart palpitations, anxiety, and sleep problems. We do know that exposure to large amounts of RF radiation as a result of accidents involving radar has caused severe burns. Whether in large or small amounts, RF
radiation has adverse effects on your health.
The US safety limit for RF radiation is 1,000 micro-watts per meter squared. However, it’s not uncommon for some Smart Meters to produce up to 60 times this amount. That means the radiation from Smart Meters is equivalent to the output of 160 wireless devices such as cell phones. And Smart Meters are continuously transmitting data and producing RF radiation in and around your home.
No one has conducted health studies on humans living in homes with smart meters. The World Health Organization is planning a formal assessment of the health effects from RF exposure; however, this report is not yet available.” Source:
Whether or not a homeowner chooses to have a new Smart Meter installed on their home is up to them.
However, they should have all information available to them before making a decision and consider the possible risks versus benefits. If interested in opting out, the opt-out process currently involves the following steps:
1) Call the NorthWestern Energy toll-free number 1-800-486-4280 and choose option 2.
2) Inform the NorthWestern Energy representative you wish to opt out of the new meter.
3) The representative will take your address information and ask you to wait to be connected to a customer relations representative to finalize your choice. If the representative is available, you are transferred and complete step 4 below. If the representative is not available, you will be called back in a day or so, and
step 4 will be completed then.
4) The NW Energy customer relations representative will ask why you want to opt-out of the new meter, and customers should state due to health reasons/concerns. The rep will explain that they will put a bypass request on the address and when crews come in June or later, the home will be bypassed and no meter installed. He will also inform you that the Montana Public Service Commission has not finalized a law on the opt-out customers, and may or may not require opt-out customers to pay a tariff at a later date.
When the Public Service Commission finalizes the law, customers who have opted-out the new meters will be informed and given a choice to get a Smart Meter at the time or continue to opt out.
If you have more questions, please call Montana Public Service Commission at: 1-800-646-6150.